Financial Skills Classes
The first time you buy a house or a car, set up an investment plan or a budget, the tasks can be a little intimidating. The stewardship committee has made arrangements for three highly skilled persons to each offer a helpful class. The information will also be helpful to others as well. The leaders are:
- Laura Barry, a Certified Financial Planner
- Joe Pitterle, who works with investments at Northwestern Mutual Insurance
- Thomas Bolton, who is on the board of a savings and loan
Each class will be 90 minutes long with time set aside for your questions. Each of the three classes will be offered at two different times:
Class #1 is offered on
- Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm and on
- Saturday, September 30 at 10:00 am to 11:30 am.
Class #2 is offered on
- Wednesday, October 11 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm and on
- Saturday, October 14 at 10:00 am to 11:30 am.
Class #3 is offered on
- Wednesday, October 25 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm and on
- Saturday, October 28 at 10:00 am to 11:30 am.
A wrap-up class will be offered on
- Wednesday, November 8 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm and on
- Saturday, November 11 at 10:00 am to 11:30 am.
These classes are offered free with great leaders as a service of First United Methodist Church. They are our gift to you. You are encouraged to tell your friends and acquaintances about the classes. They will be welcomed to attend. Please contact the church office for more information and to register. The deadline for registration is September 18.
Children and Youth Education
Nursery care with an age-appropriate introduction to faith development is provided in a safe and nurturing environment. Our Nursery Director and staff welcome you!
Infant – 4 years old
Every Sunday, 7:45am – 12:15 pm
Located on the Main Level (see an usher for assistance)
Directed by Jon Kinney
September 10, 2017 – May 20, 2018
Sunday School (9:15-10:40am)
DEEP BLUE: LEARN & SERVE (A WEEKLY ADVENTURE THRU THE BIBLE)
3K-5K (Cokesbury Room) Teachers: Betty Grypp, Michelle Fuller, Lara Burke, Chris Jolitz
1st-3rd Grades/4th-5th Grades (Albright Room) Teachers: Dorothy Meyer, Deb Semrad
MUSIC: Laurie Halvorsen
Children will make Bible stories, Bible people, and Bible passages a part of their lives. They will also come to know the Bible as THEIR book and find ways to let the Bible speak to them today!
Deep Blue incorporates age appropriate Bible stories, arts and crafts, music, animated video storytelling, and active games into a living-faith experience that will help children discover what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ today!
The Deep Blue Kids will lead the children through the Bible using animated videos that tell the story and encourage the children to “dive deeper” into the Bible and explore their faith.
UNIT 1: God Calls Samuel (1 Samuel 3:1-21)
UNIT 2: David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17:1-51a)
UNIT 3: The Wise King (1 Kings 2:1-4; 3:1-15; 6:1-38; 8:1-66)
UNIT 1: A Baby Is Born (Luke 2:1-20)
UNIT 2: Jesus and the Children (Matthew 19:13-15)
UNIT 3: The Four Friends (Mark 2:1-12)
UNIT 1: People Welcome Jesus (Mark 11:1-11)
UNIT 2: The Tomb Is Empty (Luke 24:1-12)
UNIT 3: Paul Changes (Acts 9:1-19)
submerge Ages 11+
Grade 6 – Grade 12 (Wesley Room) Teachers: Kari Andrews, Lance Lambert
A one-year Bible study that emphasizes nurturing faithful relationships while engaging teens in fun and engaging activities that will get the teens involved, thinking and talking.
UNIT 1: Dive Deeper Into…Genesis
- Session 1: Right Relationships (Creation)
- Session 2: Fear of Change (The Tower of Babel)
- Session 3: Trusting God (Abraham and Isaac)
- Session 4: Forgiveness (Jacob and Esau Reconcile)
UNIT 2: Dive Deeper Into…Exodus and the Judges
- Session 5: Reconciliation (Joseph Meets His Brothers)
- Session 6: God Providing (The People Wander)
- Session 7: Working Together (The Walls of Jericho)
- Session 8: Choices (Samson)
- Session 9: Discerning God’s Will (Samuel Anoints Saul)
UNIT 3: Dive Deeper Into…the Kings and Prophets
- Session 10: Serving God (David’s Leadership)
- Session 11: Encountering God (Solomon Encounters God)
- Session 12: God’s Faithfulness (Jerusalem Is Destroyed)
- Session 13: God’s Triumph (Zephaniah’s Prophecy)
UNIT 1: Dive Deeper Into…Advent and Christmas
- Session 1: Hope (Isaiah’s Prophecy)
- Session 2: Trust (Elizabeth and Zechariah)
- Session 3: Faith (Mary and Joseph)
- Session 4: Incarnation (Jesus Is Born)
- Session 5: Worshiping (The Magi)
UNIT 2: Dive Deeper Into…Christmas and Epiphany
- Session 6: Baptism (The Baptism of Jesus)
- Session 7: Being Called (Jesus Calls the Twelve)
- Session 8: How to Treat Others (The Sermon on the Plain)
- Session 9: Forgiveness (The Woman Anoints Jesus)
UNIT 3: Dive Deeper Into…the Life of Jesus
- Session 10: Protection (Jesus Calms the Sea)
- Session 11: Knowing Jesus (The Transfiguration)
- Session 12: Praising Jesus (The Entry Into Jerusalem)
- Session 13: Giving Generously (The Widow’s Offering)
UNIT 1: Dive Deeper Into…the Season of Lent
- Session 1: Sharing Communion (The Last Supper)
- Session 2: Prayer (Jesus in Prayer)
- Session 3: Suffering (Jesus’ Betrayal, Arrest, and Trial)
- Session 4: Death (Jesus’ Death)
UNIT 2: Dive Deeper Into…the Easter Season
- Session 5: Resurrection (Jesus’ Resurrection)
- Session 6: Encountering Jesus (The Road to Emmaus) Session
- 7: Trust (Jesus and the Disciples)
- Session 8: Waiting (The Ascension)
- Session 9: The Holy Spirit (Pentecost)
UNIT 3: Dive Deeper Into…the Book of Acts
- Session 10: Everyone Contributing (The Seven Deacons)
- Session 11: Conversion (Paul’s Conversion)
- Session 12: Proclaiming (Paul and Barnabas)
- Session 13: Staying the Course (Paul and Silas
Adult Christian Education Opportunities (September 2017 – May 2018)
Adult Discussion Group
Sunday at 9:30 am- Fellowship Hall
Leaders: Jerry Semrad and Participants
Studying topics of mutual interest.
Adult Interest Group
Sunday at 9:30 am- Fireside Room
Leader: Ken Ilseman
Come Join us as we study
Living Your Faith
Sunday at 9:30 am – Lighthouse Room
Leader: Pam Carlson-Gohil
In church we learn the life of Jesus and the message He brought to the people about living life as God would have us. That was 2,000 years ago; the culture was vastly different. How do these “rules” impact our lives today? Let’s talk!
Adult Education Opportunities during the week
What Does the Bible Say?
2nd Monday of the Month – Fireside Room
Did you ever read something in the Bible and wonder what it really means? Are you longing to look more deeply into the Scripture? Then this is the group for you. We welcome you to join our on-going study in the New Testament. Where will we go after that? It could be an in-depth look at another book of the Bible, or it could be to explore a specific question about something in the Bible you’ve wondered about. You decide!
What we discover may surprise you, so grab your Bible and come join us! We meet on the 2nd Monday of each month though next May 2018.